Monday 31 January 2022

Save for Tomorrow so you’re’ Not Just Living for Today


 

If you’re not saving’ anything, you have a “live for today” mentality. This is where you think, “I’ve got it now, so I’ll spend it now. Forget about tomorrow!”

John D. Rockefeller was the wealthiest man of his time. He’s famous for having been asked multiple times about the secret of his wealth. His answer became known as his 10-10-80 principle. He’d tell people that he got wealthy by giving the first 10 percent of whatever he made back to God. The second 10 percent went into savings, and he learned to live on the remaining 80 percent.

As I meditated upon what Solomon says, ”The wise man saves for the future, but the foolish man spends whatever he gets” (Proverbs 21:20, TLB), this reminds me that saving is one way that God tests me in my finances + be responsible with what He’s given me. Though, culture says to pay all your bills first – but then you don’t have any money for saving and tithing. Yet, God says, “Pay me first, then pay yourself second (savings), and then pay your bills after that.”

Indeed, I observed how Jeremiah cried out for justice for God to show His mercy to the injustice knowing for the fact that the hearts of the Israelites were far off though their lips sang praises of the LORD + they grew in His ways & bear for Him (Jeremiah 12:1-3, NIV). And, this made me pondered upon how I have to examine my heart to give myself unto the LORD as I worship Him and sing praises to His wonderful Name daily.

Today, I accept the grace that God is giving me + taking the hard steps to live the purpose that He’s given me for tomorrow as I did my CNY’s weekend reading.

What keeps you from being able to save part of your income?

(Written by Jeremy Koh, 27th January 2020)

Profile Background:
Jeremy Koh is a disabled graduate from Cerebral Palsy Alliance Singapore – formerly known as Spastic Children Association (1987-1997). He graduated with Certificates in Microsoft Office Skills. Jeremy has worked in ServeHope Pte Ltd – Project Assistant/Email Marketing Consultant for 5 years (March 2008 – August 2013). And, Jeremy did a research work for the keyguard at (these)abilites Pte Ltd handling all KeyGuard Operations for 10 months in World United College South East Asia (Tampines Branch). He was Executive Assistant with Vision Strategy Storytelling (3 months, Aug to Oct 2017). Jeremy worked as GB Connector in GrowthBeans Team in Savior-Asia Consulting Pte Ltd (October 2018 to December 2019). Today, he continues to be in GB Youth Organizing Team/as a GB Youth Facilitator in YouthCorps Singapore, a former member of the Special Needs Cluster in YCS, and a Founder in the ground up initiative project called – Project Story for LIFE that serves the Special Needs Community at-large in society today.

Prayer Response to this featured article:
Thank you Jesus for giving us the grace to help us live the purpose in our lives today;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Foot-wash

As I did my today’s meditation, I pondered upon how the disciple Simon Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, do you wash my feet? .... You shall never...