Saturday 13 April 2024

Promises, Promises

As a child, I had promised not to tell my friends' secrets. I promised my sisters they could play with her toys. I would have been sure I had promised to my parents that I’d be good child to them. God says to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations” (Genesis 9:11-12, NIV), and I continued to make promises to family, friends, and coworkers. When I became a Christian, she promised to love God with her whole heart and to serve God faithfully. Yet, I had not always kept these promises. When someone breaks a promise to us, we may feel betrayed, discouraged, and perhaps unloved, yet we often put little thought into our own promises.

Do we consider the consequences of our broken promises?

Someone may be lonely because we didn't keep a promise to visit. Someone may not have adequate shelter or food because we neglected a promise to give to missions. A project at church or work may be delayed because we didn't fulfill our promise to help out. And, Hebrews 13:5 tells us that God will never leave or forsake us, and Philippians 4:19 said that God will meet all our needs. “This is what Christ promised us - an eternal life” (1 John 2:25, NIV).

When we accept Christ as our personal saviour, God promises eternal life. We trust God's promises, and God can help us to keep the promises we make. When we keep our promises, we model the faithfulness of God.

Profile Background:
(Written by Connie L. Coppings, – (Kentucky, U.S.A) from the Upper Room Ministries)

Prayer Response to this featured article:
We thank God for His promises He has made to u for God to provide us the strength to do what we promise to do + for those who have trouble keeping promises.
 
(The unrecalled date/year of published time)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Foot-wash

As I did my today’s meditation, I pondered upon how the disciple Simon Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, do you wash my feet? .... You shall never...