Friday 18 September 2020

Born to lead

As I pondered upon what the disciples said to Jesus, “Everyone is looking for you.” And he said to them, “Let us go on to the next towns that I may preach there also, for that is why I came out.” (MARK 1:37-38, NIV), I noted how Jesus was a popular teacher and a charismatic healer. He drew overflow crowds. Yet, Jesus did not conform to the role of a domestic personal saviour or a townhouse preacher. Instead, the Church that He builds is a going community. And, I’m reminded of the apostle’ Peter’s home as a new ministry base – the first house church (MARK 2:1). Surely, he must have been delighted. He’s reunited with his wife. He’s enjoying his mother-in-law’s cooking again (MARK 1:31, NIV). His brother Andrew and his old fishing buddies James and John were there with him too (pre apostolic persons).

So, Peter (pre apostolic person) was a family man with a big heart.  He opened his home for the ministry of Jesus. Hence, he urged his readers to show hospitality without grumbling (1 PETER 4:9, NIV), + he practiced this before preaching it. And, it was his house that had the roof torn open to let a paralytic down for Jesus to heal him (MARK 2:1–5, NIV).

Today, I pray for God to enable me to welcome people to an evangelistic cell that I am hosting in a homily setting, and for me to practice hospitality without grumbling and place Jesus at the centre at the gathering that I will be hosting.

As the prophet said, “your ways and thoughts are higher than ours (ISAIAH 55:8, NIV), encouraging us to examine ourselves if we’ve relied upon our secular principles and skill-sets than on the guidance and gifts of the Holy Spirit.

As such, I allow the Holy Spirit to convict my heart + reveal areas where I tried to micro-manage, to domesticate things to suit my own systems, structures, and schedules, as I did my today’s  reading.

May we pray for the Holy Spirit to convict our heart + reveal areas where we tend to micro-manage, to domesticate things to suit our own systems, structures, and schedules today!

(Written by Jeremy Koh, 3rd July 2019)

Profile Background:

Jeremy Koh is a disabled graduate from Cerebral Palsy Alliance Singapore – formerly known as Spastic Children Association (1987-1997). He graduated with Certificates in Microsoft Office Skills. Jeremy has worked in ServeHope Pte Ltd – Project Assistant/Email Marketing Consultant for 5 years (March 2008 – August 2013). And, Jeremy did a research work for the keyguard at (these)abilites Pte Ltd handling all KeyGuard Operations for 10 months. He was Executive Assistant with Vision Strategy Storytelling (3 months, Aug to Oct 2017). Jeremy worked as GB Connector in GrowthBeans Team in Savior-Asia Consulting Pte Ltd (October 2018 to December 2019). Today, he continues to be in GB Youth Organizing Team/as a GB Youth Facilitator in YouthCorps Singapore + a valued Co-Partner/Worker as Outreach Officer (Project Role Based) in Access Path Productions, a former member of the Special Needs Cluster in YCS, and currently setting up + involved in Project Story LIFE Team with Special Needs Community.

 Prayer Response to this featured article: 

Jesus, forgive us our pride and presumption. Help us to see your kingdom vision and pursue it with all our hearts. Anoint us to reorder everything to align with your perfect plan for Church, nation, and world

No comments:

Post a Comment

Foot-wash

As I did my today’s meditation, I pondered upon how the disciple Simon Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, do you wash my feet? .... You shall never...