Saturday 29 October 2022

Peace of God

 

As I meditated upon what Jesus said, “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls” (Matthew 11:28, NRSV), I see how the Christmas season is a beautiful time of the year, but my anxiety increases as I scramble to buy gifts for loved ones, plan family celebrations, and attend special church services. This anxiety leads to a lack of cheerfulness, and sometimes a sense of depression. However, the apostle Paul wrote, “Do not be anxious about anything.” Why do we have anxieties? Because we live our lives as if we are on our own, tending to forget that we belong to God. We forget that our struggles have been lifted through the life, death, resurrection, and ascension of our Lord, Jesus Christ. We fail to focus steadfastly on the Savior. But we were told that Jesus is the good Shepherd going before his sheep, bidding them to follow him, and ever leading them onwards.

As the Gospel said, “To you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is the Messiah, the Lord”… “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace among those whom he favors”! (Luke 2:11/14, NRSV); these words invite us to experience the “Peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:7, NRSV) that’s celebrated during this beautiful season. Because Christ lives in us, our anxiety can give way to peace.

Prayer Response to this featured article:
Do pray for those who are engaged in peacemaking. Do pray that we will be faithful witnesses to God’s love as we journey on in our lives.

Profile Background:
(Written by Sherry B. Martin – (South Carolina, U.S.A.), the unrecalled date/year of published time from Upper Room Ministries)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Foot-wash

As I did my today’s meditation, I pondered upon how the disciple Simon Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, do you wash my feet? .... You shall never...