Sunday 18 June 2023

Learning From Example


As I did my weekend’s reading & meditated upon how the apostle Paul said, “Whatever you have learned or heard from me, or seen in me – put it into practice” (Philippians 4:9a, NIV), we see that Paul pleaded with the members of God’s family in Philippi to settle their conflict and “be of the same mind in the Lord” – being the reliable formula for family unity! And, Paul urged everyone to “rejoice in the Lord” and let their gentleness be seen by all. Indeed, we realize that rejoicing and gentleness cannot be taught easily; but they’re much better caught by example. In healthy families, we learn a lot about right and wrong, good and bad, by simply watching our parents or older siblings. This is also true in our relationships in the church, where more experienced brothers and sisters in Christ gently show us the way or teach us what we need to know.

Truly, Paul’s own life had shown joy and gentleness for him to use himself as an example for others to follow through. Like Paul, we’ve got to live in such a way that we can say, “Learn what I teach –by example!” A sense of what’s right and what’s wrong is a wonderful and necessary thing to know while I pondered upon my weekend’s reading.

What kind of example are you today?

Prayer Response to this featured article:
Thank you Jesus for being our example of love and compassion; empower us with your Holy Spirit to live in such a way that others may see Christ living in us always.

Profile Background:
Pastor George Vink has served as a pastor in the Christian Reformed Church for more than 30 years in British Columbia, Montana, Michigan, and California. He and his wife, Shirley, have four married sons and nine grandchildren. 

(Written by Pastor George Vink, 19th June 2022 – Father’s Day)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Foot-wash

As I did my today’s meditation, I pondered upon how the disciple Simon Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, do you wash my feet? .... You shall never...